Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Final project

Teaching grammar

Burkart, Grace Stovall. "Teaching Grammar." NCLRC. 1998. Web. 12 Jan. 2012. <http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/grammar/grindex.htm>.
What do you think is the best way of teaching grammar for the kinds of students that you are probably going to teach in classroom? Describe the students so I can understand your approach to teaching grammar.


           When I was in school, my teacher was taught me grammar from rules. I was weak in grammar. Now I hope to be English teacher. I began wondering if grammar could be taught in way to teach my students in future. Then I found alternative of traditional way. In my essay, I will present to you some types of direct teaching of grammar.

          If I am going to teach a children grade 1 or 2 and have different level abilities, I will teach them the indirect way.  It's more difficult than direct teach. As a teacher, I should teach grammar patiently. From my experience I discovered many kinds of direct teach. The best type is teaching children grammar through games. I think it is better to teach grammar for children without rules in the beginning because: Firstly, the students are active almost all the time so they like games. When they play and learn at the same time the knowledge of grammar will concentrate. Secondly, I will try to get them read as much as possible. Using the book box in the class will motivate them to read. The much they read, the much they learn grammar. Moreover, let them guess the rules. For example, I will write on the board a sentence and the students have to recognize the rule.  When they discover the grammar for themselves it means they are will learn. Repetition in some cases is very helpful. It helps to stick the rules in the students' minds. Also I can use stories to teach grammar. Children like mini stories so they will love to learn more about grammar as much as they love stories. In addition, the songs are good for children to learn grammar through it. They will save it and song it all the time even when they back to the home. So it is easy way to teach them grammar and get fun during the class time without feeling of boring. "( Burkart,1998)

          Now what better way is there to teach grammar than that? For children it is by far the best way to go. Only excellent teachers have developed the skills to make the process seamless to the students and be creative.
Bibliography

No comments:

Post a Comment